Adrian Sutil has all but confirmed that he will remain with Force India for the 2011 season, having spent much of the season being the subject of rumours that he was to join Mercedes GP, Williams or Renault.
But with opportunities at all three teams seemingly evaporating, it seems that the German will stick it out with his long-time employer for at least another year.
“The tendency is to [re-sign with] Force India,” he told Auto Motor und Sport. “We are currently in close talks. I am definitely ready to stay here for another year. The trend is with this team, but it’s not signed yet.”
The news comes as a potential blow for Nick Heidfeld, who was hotly tipped to be a candidate to fill the vacancy at Force India if Sutil left the team, which has Vitantonio Liuzzi under contract for 2011 already.
“If Sutil is staying there, probably I have no chance with Force India,” the Sauber driver said.
Heidfeld is himself being replaced next season by the Mexican-sponsored Sergio Pérez, and is currently scouting for a vacancy on the grid next season.
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Mercedes close out Friday practice on top - 4 July, 2020
- Hamilton leads Mercedes 1-2 as F1 2020 finally gets underway - 3 July, 2020
- Stirling Moss (1929 – 2020) - 12 April, 2020
- F1 to delay 2021 technical regulations - 20 March, 2020
- More Grands Prix axed from 2020 schedule - 20 March, 2020