All twelve team bosses and 24 drivers were summoned by the 80-year-old to appear in front of the backdrop of the famous Yas Marina Hotel for the time-honoured end-of-year class photo, but the photo (pictured, click to enlarge) clearly shows that Michael Schumacher, Timo Glock and Bruno Senna failed to show.
Switzerland’s Blick newspaper reports that Mercedes GP team boss Ross Brawn had tried calling Schumacher on his mobile phone before the photo shoot, prompting Bernie to apparently quip: “Has he retired again?”
Brazil’s Globo puts Senna’s no-show down to being held up in a session with the race stewards after an incident in the second free practice session.
The newspaper reports two
excuses claims for Glock’s absence, with the first being that he was receiving treatment for a foot injury, and the second that he was at the wrong end of the paddock and couldn’t hotfoot it in time to the location.
You certainly don’t want to upset the sport’s ringmaster like that!
[Original image via Blick]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018