Hispania Racing team principal Colin Kolles has expressed his desire to secure the services of Davide Valsecchi for the 2011 season – subject to him bringing enough funding, of course – after the Italian made an impressive debut with the Spanish squad at the Abu Dhabi young drivers’ test.
The 23-year-old drove alongside Pastor Maldonado and Josef Král over the two-day test as Yas Marina, and comfortably posted the quickest lap time of the trio, and in fact went quickest of any of the drivers representing the three rookie teams, which include Lotus and Virgin Racing.
Describing Valsecchi’s efforts as “awesome”, Kolles told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “It took him a few laps to understand the car, while some of his colleagues did not succeed even after a full season!”
HRT also did rather well, financially, from hosting the three drivers over the last two days, with Maldonado’s outing costing his Venezuelan sponsors closer to €1 million for the privilege.
Even Czech driver Král stumped up some cash for the ride in the F110, believed to be in the region of €300,000 for his single day’s efforts.
[Original image via GP Update]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020