Sir Frank Williams has expressed his desire for more Middle East expansion from Formula 1, and put his team’s name forward in support of Qatar’s bid to become the first Middle Eastern nation to host the FIFA World Cup in 2022.
“I would love to see a race in Qatar because of our involvement here,” he told the newspaper, referencing Williams’ recent announcement that it was going to build a technology centre in the country.
“In my humble opinion, the Losail circuit is admirably suited for an F1 race,” he added.
Losail’s only true F1 connection was that it played host to a round of the short-lived Grand Prix Masters championship, where a host of ex-F1 drivers – including the likes of Nigel Mansell, Emerson Fittipaldi, Derek Warwick and their contemporaries – staged a race at the circuit in searing hot conditions (pictured).
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020