Former F1 driver David Piper is celebrating his 80th birthday today.
Piper contested two Grands Prix – the 1959 and 1960 British events – at the wheel of a Lotus 16, retiring from the first and finishing twelfth in the latter.
Piper would achieve much more success in sports car racing, and was Ferrari’s most successful privateer driver.
Tragically, he lost part of one leg in an accident while filming the 1970 film Le Mans, but continued to compete in historic events for many years afterwards.
[Original image via MaggieMaggi]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- ‘The Unknown Kimi Räikkönen’ - 8 December, 2018
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi finale - 26 November, 2018
- Pirelli stays as F1’s tyre supplier - 25 November, 2018
- Supercars: Reynolds wine finale, McLaughlin takes the crown - 25 November, 2018
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen stripped of victory - 25 November, 2018