Former F1 driver David Piper is celebrating his 80th birthday today.
Piper contested two Grands Prix – the 1959 and 1960 British events – at the wheel of a Lotus 16, retiring from the first and finishing twelfth in the latter.
Piper would achieve much more success in sports car racing, and was Ferrari’s most successful privateer driver.
Tragically, he lost part of one leg in an accident while filming the 1970 film Le Mans, but continued to compete in historic events for many years afterwards.
[Original image via MaggieMaggi]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018