The SUNRED Engineering SEAT team has confirmed its first driver signing for the 2011 World Touring Car Championship season, making the surprise announcement that it has signed a 16-year-old to its driving roster.
Pepe Oriola will become the youngest driver in the sport’s history when the 2011 season kicks off in March at Interlagos.
Oriola finished fourth in the SEAT León Eurocup championship this year, taking a pair of victories at the season-ending round at Valencia to finish a single point off third place.
“This is a dream that comes true. It will be tough to be the youngest in the field, but I’ll do my best to have an impact. Obviously it will be difficult to fight for the title, but I will have the opportunity to learn from the best,” Oriola said as the announcement was confirmed.
SUNRED Team Principal Joan Orús added: “We are confident that Pepe is mature enough for delivering a great maiden season. He has the potential to provide more than a surprise.”
We will be watching his progress with absolute fascination…
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018