The double World Champion and his wife, Spanish singer Raquel del Rosario, flew to the resort island of Porto Santo in his private jet, only to be confronted with a group of photographers as he made his way through the airport.
A video posted to YouTube (and broadcast on several Spanish news broadcasts) shows the 29-year-old blasting the group in Spanish: “The first photographer or camera I see in the next [few] days, I will leave the next day and tell everyone that Porto Santo is a disaster.
“Ok? So please leave us alone,” he pleaded, and then gesticulated with a thumbs-down.
Alonso has not courted the most favourable relationship with certain sections of the media, with some sections – most notably the British tabloid media – regarding him as aloof and occasionally aggressive at times.
Now it is one thing for him to be upset with the media intrusion, but threatening the island’s reputation (with its economy clearly reliant on tourism) is perhaps a step too far…
Alonso’s next public appearance is Ferrari’s traditional Marlboro-sponsored Wroom skiing event in the Italian Alps.
[Video via AfixF1Girl]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020