Hispania Racing outcast Karun Chandhok has dropped more hints that he is in the running for a possible test driver role with Team Lotus, as we predicted late last year.
The man from Chennai made his F1 debut with HRT last year, but was dropped mid-season when Sakon Yamamoto was able to buy the seat from under him.
But it now seems that a possible switch to Team Lotus might be on the cards, according to quoted attributed to the Indian by the PTI press agency.
Describing Team Lotus as “a step up” from HRT, Chandhok is also attracted by “the idea of building an Asian team with Asian drivers, mechanics, engineers, PR and marketing people”.
But Chandhok was quick to add that no contract has, as yet, been signed.
“Nothing is final until you have a contract in your hands. It will take about two [to] three weeks to know. They are maybe talking to twenty more guys other than me,” he clarified.
He sais he hopes that any possible role will entail him driving in Friday practice, with a view to gearing up for a return to full-time racing once again.
“I want to be involved in the medium term for two [to] three years. It would allow to build the partnership, to grow together. Stability is what I am looking for,” he continued.
“I will get to learn [in 2011] even if I drive on just Fridays,” he added.
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020