Perhaps not surprisingly, former World Champion Nigel Mansell has been hired as a brand ambassador for the Lotus car company, and will join Jean Alesi in playing a development role with the carmaker’s new T125 publically-available single-seater.
Mansell’s signing seems a fait accompli after he recently offered his public support of Group Lotus’ increased involvement with the sport with the Renault F1 team.
The former Lotus, Ferrari, Williams and McLaren driver will kick off his duties with a round of testing at Abu Dhabi, where he will help develop the quasi-F1 car (whatever that may be).
“Returning to Lotus in this capacity brings back a lot of
money memories for me,” Mansell is quoted as saying.
“I will always be extremely grateful to Lotus and especially to Colin Chapman, who was so inspirational and almost like a second father to me.
“I’ve been watching the developments taking place recently at Hethel with their ambitious race and road car projects with great interest. I’m really delighted to see that Lotus is back where it belongs, competing with the best in the top echelons of motorsport,” he added.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020