Mercedes GP has become the third and final team to present its 2011 title challenger, the W02, to the motorsport media this morning at Valencia before pre-season testing officially kicks off today.
The team maximised its PR reach by releasing a head-on teaser photo two days ago, and the new car looks every bit as interesting with quite a fascinating design on offer.
The new car has been in development for some time, and designers have worked hard to optimise the layout and packaging in readiness for the new 2011 rules that see KERS reintroduced, as well as an adjustable rear wing coming into play.
Aside from an updated paint scheme, the new changes highlight a very tightly packaged design around the sidepods and radiators and a reversion to a more conventional air intake from the split intake it rain in 2010. The car sports a higher and wide nose than its predecessor.
Noci Rosberg and Michael Schumacher will share driving duties today, with Schumacher no doubt particularly keen to discover if the W02 and Pirelli tyres will present him with a more competitive package than last year’s car.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020