The Formula 1 teams have confirmed that they will unanimously support whichever decision is made by the sport’s authorities as to whether the under-threat Bahrain Grand Prix takes place.
A meeting of key figures from each of the twelve teams occurred after the opening day’s testing at Barcelona to discuss the matter, which has seen this weekend’s GP2 Asia Series race cancelled due to ongoing political unrest on the island kingdom.
Speaking after the meeting of the teams, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner spoke with the awaiting media.
“It’s obviously a really difficult situation in Bahrain, but we have complete trust in Bernie [Ecclestone], FOM and the FIA to make the right decision. They will only send us there if it is safe,” he is quoted.
“It would be a great shame to lose the race, but it’s not the teams’ decision – it’s down to the promoter. Bernie and the FIA will have much more information than us and we will trust their decisions.”
The teams also discussed the viability of the final pre-season test at Bahrain, which is due to start on 3 March.
It was agreed that the decision to run there or not will be down to whether the Grand Prix actually goes ahead – a judgement that effectively means that the authorities will have to make a decision “as some point next week” in order to allow team enough to time to ship their cars and equipment to the Sakhir circuit.
Should the race be cancelled, the FOTA figures agreed that an alternative venue would be found for the final test session.
“One is linked to the other; they are only a week apart,” Horner continued. “It wouldn’t make sense to go and test there if the race wasn’t to happen. We will wait for feedback from FOM and the FIA and make a decision accordingly. We are looking at some alternatives because we don’t know whether we can go to Bahrain.”
It is believed that FOTA may have made approaches to circuit officials from Barcelona and Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina venue.