The Swiss driver will run in the F110 in the afternoon, after Narain Karthikeyan clocks up more mileage in the 2010-spec car beforehand.
Mondini’s opportunity is perhaps not a surprise given he has a lengthy relationship with HRT team boss Colin Kolles. The 30-year-old has been driving in Kolles’ Le Mans squad in recent years, as well as being a third driver for the Kolles-run Midland F1 outfit in 2006.
Mondini is a former Formula Renault champion, who earned his first taste of F1 in 2005 when given the opportunity to test for the Renault team as a reward for winning the title. He has also represented Switzerland in the A1GP series.
HRT tested Vitantonio Liuzzi yesterday and is yet to announce the identity of its second driver to partner Karthikeyan for the 2011 season.
[Images via XPB]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020