It’s a black art reading too much into pre-season testing performances as we have written before, but one team that has – surprisingly and – consistently featured at the pointy end of the timesheets has been the Scuderia Toro Rosso.
Switzerland’s Blick newspaper has been quick to label the new Ferrari-powered STR6 as the “Wunder Auto” (wonder car) after a series of very competitive outings to-date in the pre-season tests at Valencia, Jerez and Barcelona.
On the Saturday of the recent Barcelona test, Jaime Alguersuari came within a whisker of knocking Sebastian Vettel from the top spot of the timesheets, while team-mate Sébastien Buemi was third-fastest on the final day of testing at the circuit.
Of equal importance is that the STR6 has proved to be a reliable machine, and the overall signs seem to indicate that the outfit might do better than its ambition of finishing in seventh place in the Constructors’ Championship this year.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020