Auto Motor und Sport claims that – despite a recent admission from competition boss Norbert Haug that his drivers would struggle to net a top-ten finish if a race was held now – the outfit has made a solid step forward in the recent Barcelona test and is now “the leader in terms of top speed”.
This bodes well for the Brackley-based squad, which could, by implication, be aerodynamically efficient, as well as being equipped with an effective KERS unit and adjustable rear wing.
And while Haug was prepared to admit that a straight-line speed was an “important” factor, the German was also coming across more positively when asked recently about the team’s prospects in the lead-up to the 2011 season getting underway.
“Because we were able to do more laps [at Barcelona], we understand the car and the tyres better. And that brings us lap time,” he said.
And with the Bahrain Grand Prix having now been cancelled, the outfit has an extra two weeks’ preparation before a true picture is known of where the team stands with the rest of the field.
“If everything goes in the right direction, the Silver Arrow may surprise you,” Haug warned.
[Original image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020