|So what is the Williams team doing wrong? Sauber is seemingly having new sponsors queuing up to sponsor it…|
Just a year ago, the Sauber F1 team could scarcely take a trick in trying to sign on a sponsor.
But it seems that more are bashing on the Swiss team’s doors to sign up, with Japanese multinational NEC becoming the latest addition to the team’s roster of sponsors.
Last weekend’s demonstration event at Guadalajara marked the debut appearance of NEC’s blue sponsor stickers on the car’s panels, although the team is still to formally announce the deal in spite of the Tokyo company’s logos also appearing on the team’s official website.
Commercially, it makes sense to have the involvement of a Japanese sponsor in support of Kamui Kobayashi – whose Mexican team-mate Sergio Pérez also enjoys backing from several sponsors from his homeland – but the lack of any official word may indicate that the new branding might actually be a tie-in with one of the team’s other sponsors.
Two of Sauber’s major sponsors, Telmex and Claro, are telecommunications companies, and perhaps the tie-in could be with them…
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020