With the new STR6 having shown impressive pace in pre-season testing so far, the car’s form has prompted leading F1 drivers such as Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Jenson button to predict that the new car could spring a few surprises this year.
Some of the clever innovations on the new car include some lower-placed exhaust outlets and an innovative ‘double floor’ – a concept not tried since Ferrari’s disastrous ‘twin floor’ F92A in 1992.
And with the team having given itself the target of finishing eighth in this year’s Constructors’ Championship – an improvement of one spot on their 2010 effort – Alguersuari reckons that the team could punch well above its weight in 2011.
“We will fight for points at every race,” he told Spanish sports daily, Marca, while adding that the ban on double diffusers and the return of Pirelli as the sport’s sole tyre supplier “have favoured us”.
He added: “I think we will be competitive.”
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020