The popular event – the only major motorsport event on continental Africa – has been on the WTCC calendar since 2009, and its absence will leave WTCC series bosses frantically scrambling to find a replacement event rather than reducing the championship season to a eleven-round schedule.
Series boss Marcello Lotti has his sights set on a European venue to host a replacement round, and confirmed that an announcement would hopefully be made in the coming fortnight.
“We are currently in negotiations with a couple of other racetracks in central Europe to replace the event on the same date,” he said.
“After all the hard work and the considerable infrastructure investments made by the local promoter and the government, it is regrettable to see Marrakech dropped from the calendar.
“I know the organisers did all they could to avoid this sad decision.”
[Original image via AUTOSPORT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020