The event is part of a series of promotional exercises for next weekend’s Australian Grand Prix.
No stranger to driving across famous bridges (Mark performed a similar publicity stunt on the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 2005), Webber thrilled thousands of spectators who flocked to the Docklands Waterfront City area to view the action on the big screens and hear the roar of the engine as it passed overhead.
“The Australian Grand Prix is a world class event and something we should be very proud about,” Webber said of the event.
“Everyone works very hard there to put on a great show every year and it’s nice to be able to give something back to the city. It’s a great way of saying thank you for all the support the local people have offered me during the last few seasons and it’s a nice way to kick-start the grand prix week; I feel very privileged.”
After his bridge crossing, Webber delighted the crowds with a meet-and-greet opportunity, as well as an interview with OneHD’s head F1 presenter (and friend to Richard’s F1) Greg Rust.
[Original images via Australian Grand Prix]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020