The response was – not surprisingly – led by India’s own F1 representatives: Force India boss Vijay Mallya and HRT F1 driver Narain Karthikeyan, who took to Twitter to send their congratulations.
The Indian team beat opponents Sri Lanka in the final, sending the cricket-mad Indian nation into a frenzy.
“Congrats to all in India on ur (sic) cricket success. Namaste:),” wrote the 2008 World Champion.
And Mark Webber is another who is no stranger to cricket. A close friend to many in the Australian team, Webber predicted that India would take the cup after it bundled out his Australian side in the quarter-finals.
“It was a great knock from Ricky Ponting [Australia’s captain, who scored a century in that match], superb in the circumstances. He proved form is temporary and class is forever. But, India too strong in the end. Hope they go all the way as place will go crazy!” he tweeted.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020