Sad news to report for Paul di Resta, who bravely competed in the Turkish Grand Prix despite the death of his stepfather on the Thursday eve of the race weekend.
Reports from di Resta’s Scottish homeland claim Dougie McCracken – a former professional footballer with the Ayr United, Dumbarton and East Fife football teams – was found dead in his home after an apparent suicide attempt. McCracken, who loved with di Resta’s mother Marie, was just 46 years old.
“Everyone is heartbroken and struggling to take in what has happened,” a family friend is quoted as saying to the Daily Record newspaper.
“Everyone at Ayr United Football Club is deeply saddened by the news of the sudden passing of former player Dougie McCracken,” a statement from the football club reads. “Dougie was a cult hero with the fans.”
After qualifying midfield, di Resta retired from the race when a wheel worked loose after a pit stop.
The Richard’s F1 team sends its condolences to di Resta and his family.
[Images via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020