Despite a seemingly inconsistent start to his 2011 championship season, Ferrari has given every assurance that Felipe Massa will be with the squad into the 2012 season, despite speculation suggesting that the Brazilian could be shuffled to another team next year.
Massa’s future at Ferrari was clouded after a very disappointing 2010 championship season, but his form has improved in the 2011 season to the point that he has generally had the measure of team-mate Fernando Alonso in some of the races. However, the Spaniard redressed the balance by blowing the doors off the Brazilian at the last race in Turkey, finishing on the podium while Massa finished outside the points.
And it would seem that Massa’s improved form has all but assured Ferrari’s key management to stick with their current driver line-up for another season, with Luca di Montezemolo telling CNN that the 2008 championship runner-up was safe in his current role.
“He has a contract with us for this year [and] for next year. So absolutely yes, no question about it,” he replied, when asked if Massa’s seat was secure.
Di Montezemolo also expressed hopes that Alonso would remain with the squad for the years to come, adding: “He is one of the best drivers I have seen in my career, very strong in the mind, [he pushes] the team, but in a constructive way, but also very close to the team.
“I want to have [him for] a long time.”
[Original image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020