Mark Smith has finally kicked off his duties as Team lotus’ new Technical Director, having spent several months on ‘gardening leave’ after he was headhunted from Force India, who refused to release him from his contract.
Smith will report to Chief Technical Officer Mike Gascoyne and will manage the duties of Lewis Butler (Chief Designer), Marianne Hinson (Head of Aerodynamics), Dieter Gass (Deputy Technical Director) and Elliot Dason-Barber (Head of R&D and Vehicle Dynamics), who are tasked with developing the current T128 challenger and designing next year’s car.
“I was genuinely impressed at how this team reached the 2010 grid with a good functional car and a professional looking operation in such a short time,” he is quoted in a Team Lotus press release.
“That was a huge achievement and they have built upon that in 2011, so the foundations are there for long-term success and I am looking forward to helping the team achieve its goals for many seasons to come.”
[Image via Crash.net]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020