HVM driver Simona De Silvestro is thankfully recovering well in hospital following a gigantic crash in practice for the 2011 Indy 500.
The popular Swiss driver lost control entering Turn 3 after a suspected suspension failure, almost launching her car into the catch fencing. However, after a secondary impact at Turn 4, De Silvestro’s fuel tank appeared to rupture and catch alight, causing second degree burns to the sophomore racer’s hands.
[Article by Matt Lennon, RichardsF1.com IndyCar Correspondent; video via MY89Motorsport2]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020