Former F1 and ChampCar driver Tiago Monteiro is reportedly entering talks to be one of the five guest drivers at the season-ending Las Vegas round of the IndyCar Series season.
IndyCar is offering a purse of $5 million for any of the guest drivers should they happen to win the race, but for the Portuguese driver – who is currently SEAT’s leading driver in the World Touring Car Championship – the thrill of competition is more than enough.
“I know a few teams from my time there and some of them asked if I was interested,” he told AUTOSPORT in an interview. “I said ‘yes’ right away. Even if there was no $5 million, I would do it.”
Monteiro raced on the North American scene before his stint as an F1 driver in 2005-6, achieving five top-ten finishes in 2003 with the Fittipaldi-Dingman Racing team (pictured).
[Image via Flickr]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020