Speaking with the German-language RTL network after the Spanish Grand Prix, a race won by Sebastian Vettel.
“We have noticed that Ferrari is doing some kind of espionage,” he fumed.
Citing three of Mark Webber’s four pit stops as having occurred on the same laps that Ferrari pitted Fernando Alonso, Marko added: “We called Mark into the box relatively late, and yet they managed to get Alonso in as well. They had been able to respond to us.”
It is understood that his suspicions were all but assured when the team apparently started issuing fake requests for their drivers to pit, to which Ferrari moved in response.
Ferrari is yet to respond to these claims.
On another matter, Marko was the subject of particular criticism from fellow Austrian and former F1 driver Alexander Wurz, who offered a particularly critical of what he perceived as the rather one-sided support he offers to the team.
“Just listened to an interview of Dr. Marko,” he wrote on his Twitter feed after qualifying on Saturday.
“He only ever speaks about Vettel – no emotions for Webber. [A] shame, in my opinion.”
[Image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020