Sébastien Buemi was fortunate to escape serious injury in a freak accident while participating in a Red Bull F1 demonstration run in Japan yesterday.
The team has taken its F1 showcar to the Chiba prefecture as part of the Big Beach Festival, marking the first time that an F1 car has driven on the streets of Japan.
But what was meant to be an event to show support for the victims of the recent earthquakes and tsunami could have ended in disaster as you will see below…
Approaching the end of one demonstration run, a marshal ran onto the makeshift track right into Buemi’s path.
The marshal leapt into the air to avoid striking Buemi, but he was hit by the roll hoop and video camera of the showcar. Fortunately he was able to walk away from the accident and escaped with minor injuries.
Quote what this idiot was thinking is anyone’s guess, but this really could have been much worse…
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020