Being Nico Rosberg’s press officer must be a trying job.
There’s barely a month that doesn’t go by when Nico doesn’t put his foot in it somehow. If he’s not being overly critical of the performance of the car, then he’s usually making some other kind of gaffe that has the Mercedes GP PR people trotting him out a few hours later to put a more positive slant on his comments.
And when he was asked about his interest in the FIFA Women’s World Cup in Germany, the 25-year-old would have done little to endear himself to the women’s team, and probably many more women in general…
When asked by the German press if we watches women’s football as well as men’s, he was quoted as replying: “Yes, it’s like the Paralympics – people who are not quite as good but overall it’s still exciting.
This writer won’t comment on how appalling those sentiments are, but it seems that Nico later realised the error of his ways
the Mercedes PR team had a major fit and he was back on the charm offensive later in the day.
No doubt reciting a few lines helpfully penned by the team, he told German reporters: “The level [of premier women’s soccer] is really high. I am going to watch it and I think the Germans are the favourites.”
Of course you’re going to watch it Nico.
[Original image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020