Swiss reports claim that Kamui Kobayashi is likely to be offered a contract extension with the Sauber team “soon”.
A report in the authoritative Blick newspaper claims that the Japanese driver will almost certainly remain with Sauber, despite coming to the attention of many rival teams by dint of his spectacular driving style.
The 24-year-old has been very public with his acknowledgement that, were it not for his being signed by Sauber at the end of 2009 when the Toyota F1 team withdrew from the sport, his prospects could be very different.
“As long as I drive for Sauber, I give everything for this team, because without Peter Sauber I would not be in Formula One now,” he is quoted as saying.
Kobayashi currently lies eleventh in the Drivers’ Championship standings.
[Image via The Cahier Archive]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Unstoppable Ricciardo romps to pole - 27 May, 2018
- Ricciardo tops FP3, Verstappen crashes - 26 May, 2018
- Red Bull stays on top in Monaco - 25 May, 2018
- Ricciardo leads a Red Bull 1-2 in FP1 - 24 May, 2018
- WTCR: Vernay survives jump-start investigation to win Race 3 - 22 May, 2018