Swiss reports claim that Kamui Kobayashi is likely to be offered a contract extension with the Sauber team “soon”.
A report in the authoritative Blick newspaper claims that the Japanese driver will almost certainly remain with Sauber, despite coming to the attention of many rival teams by dint of his spectacular driving style.
The 24-year-old has been very public with his acknowledgement that, were it not for his being signed by Sauber at the end of 2009 when the Toyota F1 team withdrew from the sport, his prospects could be very different.
“As long as I drive for Sauber, I give everything for this team, because without Peter Sauber I would not be in Formula One now,” he is quoted as saying.
Kobayashi currently lies eleventh in the Drivers’ Championship standings.
[Image via The Cahier Archive]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020