Italian reports are claiming that sponsorship issues were the cause for Narain Karthikeyan’s departure from his seat at Hispania Racing.
Almost a year since fellow Indian Karun Chandhok lost his seat at the team a year before, it seems the very same reason has contributed to Karthikeyan being dropped in favour of Toro Rosso reserve driver Daniel Ricciardo, who makes his race debut this weekend as part of a deal struck with Red Bull.
Karthikeyan and his sponsors, Tata, Base and SPEED, are all still listed on the team’s official website as sponsors of the team, although a report in Italiaracing claims that “economic difficulties” contributed to Karthikeyan’s temporary departure from the cockpit.
[Image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020