Former F1 driver Alex Yoong is celebrating his 35th birthday today!
A former national waterskiing champion, Alex competed in F1 with Minardi between 2001-2 after a succession of seasons in Formula Asia and F3000.
The perception that he was a pay driver should certainly be questioned, as there was clear evidence that he was given little opportunity to perform with equipment equal to his team-mates Fernando Alonso or Mark Webber during his stint with the Faenza team.
That he went on to perform very competitively in A1 Grand Prix – hardly a second-rate series – and win several races should be a testament to his skill behind the wheel.
Alex now works for Team Lotus as a driver development consultant, hoping to unearth the next Malaysian F1 talent.
[Image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Unstoppable Ricciardo romps to pole - 27 May, 2018
- Ricciardo tops FP3, Verstappen crashes - 26 May, 2018
- Red Bull stays on top in Monaco - 25 May, 2018
- Ricciardo leads a Red Bull 1-2 in FP1 - 24 May, 2018
- WTCR: Vernay survives jump-start investigation to win Race 3 - 22 May, 2018