Former F1 driver Alex Yoong is celebrating his 35th birthday today!
A former national waterskiing champion, Alex competed in F1 with Minardi between 2001-2 after a succession of seasons in Formula Asia and F3000.
The perception that he was a pay driver should certainly be questioned, as there was clear evidence that he was given little opportunity to perform with equipment equal to his team-mates Fernando Alonso or Mark Webber during his stint with the Faenza team.
That he went on to perform very competitively in A1 Grand Prix – hardly a second-rate series – and win several races should be a testament to his skill behind the wheel.
Alex now works for Team Lotus as a driver development consultant, hoping to unearth the next Malaysian F1 talent.
[Image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020