Perhaps Nico Hülkenberg has been reading Richard’s F1, for just days after we speculated that Force India would retain its existing driver line-up for 2012, the German has said he would rather leave the sport than spend another year as a Friday test driver.
The 23-year-old was snapped as Force India’s ‘Friday’ driver after he was curiously dumped by Williams at the end of last year after a single – and impressive – debut season, which included pole position at the Brazilian Grand Prix.
And while he has performed impressively despite his limited outings, he finds the entire experience frustrating.
“I don’t want to sit around all weekend; I love racing too much,” he told reporters after another outing in the VJM04, threatening to “look for alternatives in other series” before re-signing a test driving role for 2012.
“I don’t want to waste time worrying about it at the moment because I am confident that I can stay here (in F1),” he added, despite acknowledging that team owner Vijay Mallya was “pleased” with his performances to-date.
The team has confirmed that it will make a decision on its driver line-up “at the end of the year”.
[Image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020