Reports on Jenson Button’s website claiming that he had been involved in a serious car accident on his way out of the Hungaroring circuit after qualifying were “a distasteful hoax”, according to McLaren team management.
It emerged that hackers had gained access to the Briton’s personal website late on Saturday, posting a photo of a heavily damaged car along with text claiming that the 31-year-old was in a “critical condition” in hospital.
“Suffice to say Jenson is safe, well and tucked up in bed looking forward to tomorrow’s race,” a McLaren article read. “We can only apologise for any alarm this may have caused.”
[Original image via Sutton Images]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020