Despite Toro Rosso having recently been overtaken by Force India in the Constructors Championship standings, Sébastien Buemi believes that the Faenza squad can not only retake seventh place in the standings from the Silverstone squad, but that it can also claim sixth place from Sauber before the season is out.
The team has set itself the target of finishing eighth in the championship standings – a feat it is currently on course to achieve if ninth-placed Williams continues its shocking championship season – but Buemi believes that Toro Rosso could seriously threaten its midfield rivals in the coming races.
The Italian squad has scored 22 championship points this year, leaving it just four points off Force India and only 13 adrift of Sauber. In the last six races, one or both of the Ferrari-powered cars has finished in the points in five of them.
“We have some stuff coming for Spa which hopefully is going to help us,” Buemi told AUTOSPORT.
“So hopefully we will be able to close the gap to our competitors. If we do a good job, it’s still very possible to have a strong second part of the season.
“It’s really important that we continue to improve the car. This is the key during the second half of the season. If we can bring some new parts that work well on the car, it should be no problem to keep doing what we have been doing so far. If we don’t improve the car, it is going to be hard.”
[Image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020