Ian Scheckter, brother to 1979 World Champion Jody, is celebrating his 64th birthday today!
Despite being Jody’s older brother, it was Ian who followed in his younger brother’s footsteps by heading to Europe in 1972, doing so after winning the domestic Formula Ford championship.
He made his Grand Prix debut in 1974 and competed in a total of 20 World Championship events over the next few years, only turning full-time in 1977 with March.
Unfortunately the season was a complete mess, and a disillusioned Ian claimed just two finishes in thirteen starts, effectively ruining his F1 career while Jody’s was seemingly growing from strength to strength.
He returned to his homeland and renewed his relationship with Lexington Racing, winning the 1977-8 and 1978-9 Atlantic titles, before switching to tin-top racing with BMW South Africa.
[Image via Forix]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020