The Chevrolet team is celebrating back-to-back title wins in the Drivers’ and Manufacturers’ championship crowns in the World Touring Car Championship after claiming five of the six podium spots at yesterday’s two races at Valencia.
Fans who complain about Red Bull Racing’s apparent dominance of this year’s Formula 1 championship should reconsider their opinions were they to look at the simply staggering achievement of the three-car RML squad in this year’s WTCC championship…
Of the eighteen races completed to-date in 2011, the team has won sixteen of these. Thirteen of these wins have been 1-2 finishes, and six of these have been 1-2-3 finishes. The results are simply staggering.
The Drivers’ Championship title will also be claimed by a Chevrolet driver for the second season in succession, with fourth-placed Tom Coronel now mathematically out of contention in the title race.
Who will it be out of Yvan Muller, Rob Huff or Alain Menu? We’ll have to wait and see – the next round of the championship is the penultimate Race of Japan in late October, which is being held for the first time at Suzuka.
[Images via FIA WTCC Media]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020