Japanese rally ace Toshihiro Arai will join the RML Chevrolet factory outfit for the upcoming World Touring Car Championship’s Race of Japan at Suzuka, the team has announced.
After concluding a test session with the team last week at Pembery, Arai will compete in a fourth specially-prepared Chevrolet Cruze 1.6T at the championship round, which is scheduled for a little over three weeks time.
Arai is better known for his exploits on the rallying scene, where he twice won the FIA Production Car World Rally Championship crowns in 2005 and 2007, as well as being a regular competitor in the FIA World Rally Championship.
“I am delighted to have the opportunity to race my home WTCC event and to do it with Chevrolet. This will be a new experience for me, but the philosophy of WTCC and WRC Production Cars is the same and I hope I can adapt quickly,” the 45-year-old is quoted as saying.
It is second time this season that the Chevrolet squad has expanded its racing line-up to include a fourth car: Brazilian Stockcar star Carlos “Cacá” Bueno was given an outing at the season-opening Race of Brazil at Curitiba, finishing third and fourth respectively in the event’s two races.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020