Colin Turkington will return to World Touring Car Championship action at the upcoming rounds at Suzuka and Shanghai, with BMW squad Wiechers-Sport announcing the deal today.
The Northern Irishman won the second race at last year’s Race of Japan at Okayama in a West Surrey-run BMW, and had made a one-off appearance with Wiechers-Sport at this year’s Race of UK at Donington Park, finishing tenth in the opening race.
The single-car team has fielded the likes of Swiss driver Urs Sonderegger and Italian Stefano D’Aste at other rounds this season, and team boss Dominik Greiner was confident that Turkington would bring the team more results in the Far East.
“Colin is a fantastic driver and one of his strengths is to be able to get accustomed to new circuits very quickly,” Greiner said.
“As Suzuka and Shanghai are new track for all the drivers, we are confident that he can put this skill to good use to secure good results.”
Aside from his one-off outing at Donington, Turkington has been competing in this year’s Scandinacian Touring Car Championship, finishing fifth in the Drivers’ standings.
[Image via Motorsport Canvas Art]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- ‘The Unknown Kimi Räikkönen’ - 8 December, 2018
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi finale - 26 November, 2018
- Pirelli stays as F1’s tyre supplier - 25 November, 2018
- Supercars: Reynolds wine finale, McLaughlin takes the crown - 25 November, 2018
- Supercars: Van Gisbergen stripped of victory - 25 November, 2018