Two-time CART champion Gil de Ferran will replace former F1 driver Lucas di Grassi at the upcoming V8 Supercars ArmorAll Gold Coast 600 round at Surfers Paradise, series organisers have announced today.
The former Indianapolis 500 winner will replace his compatriot, who will not be racing for reasons not yet specified.
Since hanging up his helmet in 2009, de Ferran later set up his own IndyCar team, which folded at the end of last year. He has also held a management role at the Honda F1 outfit between 2005-7.
De Ferran will drive the Mother Energy Ford Falcon alongside series regular, Jonathan Webb, who currently lies 22nd in the Drivers’ Championship standings, having achieved a best finish of sixth in Race 2 at the season-opening Abu Dhabi round.
The Gold Coast 600, scheduled for 21-23 October, is a unique round in the series’ three endurance races, where the grid’s 28 drivers are paired with a guest ‘international class’ driver for two 300-kilometre races.
[Image via Fox Sports]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Formula E: Da Costa wins inaugural Gen2 ePrix - 15 December, 2018
- ‘The Unknown Kimi Räikkönen’ - 8 December, 2018
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi finale - 26 November, 2018
- Pirelli stays as F1’s tyre supplier - 25 November, 2018
- Supercars: Reynolds wine finale, McLaughlin takes the crown - 25 November, 2018