Swiss driver Fabio Leimer will enjoy a test outing with the Sauber team at the upcoming Young Drivers’ test session at Abu Dhabi later this year, the team has announced.
The 22-year-old will drive alongside the team’s official reserve driver Esteban Gutiérrez at the mid-November test, which will occur in the days following the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Leimer drove for the Rapax GP2 team in the 2011 season, claiming a win and a podium apiece en route to finishing 14th overall in the Drivers’ Championship standings.
“We are pleased we can offer Fabio this opportunity,” Sauber CEO Monisha Kaltenborn said of the announcement.
“The test opportunities for young drivers are extremely limited nowadays, and it is always exciting to see how they deal with all the complexity of a Formula 1 test.”
“Not many Swiss drivers have ever had the chance to test for the Sauber F1 Team,” added Leimer.
“For this reason it is an even more special honour for me to be able to get my first laps in an F1 car under my belt as a Swiss for the Swiss team.
“I am very much looking forward to that challenge and want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has made it possible.”
[Image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020