Formula Renault 3.5 Series driver Nathanaël Berthon has been announced as a last-minute sign-up to HRT’s entry list for the three-day ‘Young Drivers’ Test at Abu Dhabi.
The Frenchman, 22, will be in action for the Spanish squad on Wednesday and Thursday.
Berthon has most recently competed in last weekend’s non-championship round of the GP2 Series at the same circuit. Driving for Racing Engineering, he finished ninth in the feature race, and 19th in the sprint race. He has also raced in the GP2 Asia Series.
He also competed full-time in the 2011 Formula Renault 3.5 Series championship, finishing 13th overall in the standings, with his best finish being a third place at Silverstone.
“I’m pleased to have the chance to drive in this test for HRT as this will be my first real contact with a Formula 1 car,” he said of the announcement.
“Without a doubt, this will be an experience that will reinforce my motivation for the future, and will help me to learn and understand better all the technology of an F1 car and how the tyres react in different situations.
“Formula 1 is what every driver aspires to reach but for me this is another step in my preparation for the future and my long-term objective; I’m just taking this as an experience. My target is to continue working and build my career step by step, and this test is just one more of those small but invaluable steps.”
[Image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020