Today we wish Desiré Wilson – one of just five women to have competed in Formula 1 – a very happy 58th birthday!
Born in the South African town of Brakpan, Wilson’s sole World Championship appearance came at the 1980 British Grand Prix in a non-works Williams FW07 prepared by Brands Hatch Racing, but she failed to make the qualifying cut.
She is best known for her exploits in the short-lived Aurora F1 series, and became the only woman to win a race in Formula 1 machinery when she won at Brands Hatch in 1980. Her feat saw a grandstand at the circuit named after her.
[Image via F1-Facts]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- Formula E: Evans romps to pole in Santiago - 19 January, 2020
- Kubica joins rebranded Alfa Romeo team - 2 January, 2020
- Leclerc secures long-term Ferrari deal - 23 December, 2019
- Bottas stays on top despite collision with Grosjean - 30 November, 2019
- Bottas fastest in FP1, Vettel crashes - 29 November, 2019