The Mercedes GP team has announced that it will compete under a new name in next year’s Formula 1 season: Mercedes AMG Petronas.
AMG is the high-performance arm of the Mercedes-Benz group, enjoying a prominent brand position in Germany’s top-line tin-top series, the DTM championship. AMG has also been the supplier of the Formula 1 Safety and Medical Cars for the last fifteen years.
“Our new team name fuses the proud traditions of AMG and the Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows at the pinnacle of motorsport,” says Mercedes competition boss Norbert Haug.
“These three letters are synonymous with high technology, sporting performance and excitement and this step is a further strong sign of the strategic commitment Mercedes-Benz has made to Formula 1.”
The team also announced that it would debut its 2012 challenger, the W03, at the second pre-season test at Barcelona, on February 21.
[Image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020