The Mercedes GP team has announced that it will compete under a new name in next year’s Formula 1 season: Mercedes AMG Petronas.
AMG is the high-performance arm of the Mercedes-Benz group, enjoying a prominent brand position in Germany’s top-line tin-top series, the DTM championship. AMG has also been the supplier of the Formula 1 Safety and Medical Cars for the last fifteen years.
“Our new team name fuses the proud traditions of AMG and the Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows at the pinnacle of motorsport,” says Mercedes competition boss Norbert Haug.
“These three letters are synonymous with high technology, sporting performance and excitement and this step is a further strong sign of the strategic commitment Mercedes-Benz has made to Formula 1.”
The team also announced that it would debut its 2012 challenger, the W03, at the second pre-season test at Barcelona, on February 21.
[Image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018