Jaime Alguersuari has been awarded the overall victory in Felipe Massa’s annual Desafio das Estrelas karting event at Florianópolis, after the original winner, Ferrari test driver Jules Bianchi, was disqualified.
While Bianchi had claimed outright victory in both races at the Sapiens Arena, his kart was found to be underweight in post-race scrutineering following the day’s second and final race.
The evening’s opening race started under floodlights, with the start being delayed due to slippery track conditions following a rain shower. Bianchi quickly shot into the lead ahead of pole-sitter Vitantonio Liuzzi, who was later tipped into a spin and out of contention.
Bianchi went on to win the race by a comfortable 7.4 seconds from Alguersuari, with the Toro Rosso driver holding off event organiser Massa by less than one-tenth of a second.
The secnd race saw the top-eight finishers have their grid positions reversed, and again Bianchi managed to get up to the lead, fending off Alguersuari for victory. Lucas di Grassi crossed the line third, which became second when Bianchi was kicked out. Rubens Barrichello was promoted to third place.
[Image via Mauro Kleber]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018