Former F1 driver Roelof Wunderink is also celebrating his birthday today – he is turning 63 years young!
The Dutchman was a Formula 3 and Formula 5000 driver in the 1970s, who made six Grand Prix appearances by dint of sponsorship from a Dutch security firm who helped him buy a seat with Ensign in 1975.
Without much in the way of a motorsport pedigree – he only started racing at the age of 21 – he proved out in his pace and generally out of his depth, only managing to qualify for three championship races, retiring from two and proving too slow at the rain-soaked Austrian Grand Prix to be classified as a finisher when it was red-flagged.
[Image via ASAG]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Ma Qing Hua to race on home soil - 18 September, 2018
- Hamilton inches to the 2018 title with victory - 17 September, 2018
- Hamilton stuns with another pole position - 16 September, 2018
- Ferrari dominates in final practice - 15 September, 2018
- Räikkönen edges Hamilton under the floodlights - 15 September, 2018