Former F1 driver Roelof Wunderink is also celebrating his birthday today – he is turning 63 years young!
The Dutchman was a Formula 3 and Formula 5000 driver in the 1970s, who made six Grand Prix appearances by dint of sponsorship from a Dutch security firm who helped him buy a seat with Ensign in 1975.
Without much in the way of a motorsport pedigree – he only started racing at the age of 21 – he proved out in his pace and generally out of his depth, only managing to qualify for three championship races, retiring from two and proving too slow at the rain-soaked Austrian Grand Prix to be classified as a finisher when it was red-flagged.
[Image via ASAG]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020