Several former F1 drivers are set to compete alongside a host of Indian racing drivers in the new i1Super Series, which will see 18 Radical SR3 cars line up for a ten-race season.
The championship was officially launched at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, with series organisers confirming that a total of 27 drivers have been signed up, from which 18 will be chosen (9 Indian drivers, and 9 international drivers) to race each weekend.
In total there will be nine teams (being one Indian and one international driver) representing different Indian cities, with the races to be held in India, the United Arab Emirates, Malaysia, Bahrain and Qatar. The teams will compete for a $2 million prize purse.
The series features a host of former Grand Prix drivers, including 1997 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve, former racewinners Giancarlo Fisichello, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jean Alesi, as well as Mika Salo, Sakon Yamamoto, Alex Yoong. HRT driver Vitantonio Liuzzi has also been signed, along with Team Lotus test driver Karun Chandhok.
Also confirmed are long-serving Red Bull demonstration driver Neel Jani, IndyCar rookie Pippa Mann and Mathias Lauda, son of three-time F1 champion Niki Lauda.
The championship will kick off on January 21 in Malaysia, followed by three events in February and the Yas Marina finale in March.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020