Detailed analysis has revealed that Michael Schumacher ended this year’s season as Formula 1’s best overtaker, with the seven-time World Champion making over 100 passing moves over the course of the year.
While the 42-year-old is yet to finish on the podium in his two years of racing since making his comeback to the sport, he has earned plenty of plaudits for his excellent starts and his ability to make up places on the opening lap of many races.
Data compiled and released by the Mercedes GP team showed that Schumacher made a total of 116 successful overtaking attempts, just two more than Toro Rosso driver Sébastien Buemi.
Schumacher’s tally was certainly helped in part by the fact that he qualified in the midfield, giving him plenty of opportunity to make up places in the opening laps of the race.
Those who completed the top-ten were Kamui Kobayashi (99), Jaime Alguersuari, (94), Pastor Maldonado (91), Paul di Resta (90), Sergio Pérez (87), Rubens Barrichello (86), Jenson Button (85) and Felipe Massa (82).
[Original image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020