The city of Baltimore has announced it has terminated the contract of Baltimore Racing Development (BRD) for non-compliance of terms previously set by the city council in order to save its contract. The termination is effective immediately.
Ever since the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix played host to the IndyCar Series in August this past season, reports of poor management, irresponsible finance management and a number of pending lawsuits have plagued the beleaguered promoter since what was deemed a highly-successful event around the harbour front on 4 September.
Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said that BRD failed to demonstrate a willingness to restructure its business and pay off mounting debts to suppliers and vendors and the city will therefore focus on finding a more experienced promoter for the 2012 event, scheduled to take place on September 2.
The race this past season was a huge success and while Will Power took a commanding victory on the circuit, the grandstands were full and Charm City, as it is affectionately known, came alive with huge crowds all soaking up the positive atmosphere of top-flight motorsport. Deputy Mayor Kaliope Parthemos said that despite the problems with BRD, the success of the event has spurred the city to make the next event bigger and better.
“This event had a great economic impact on the city, and it was an event the citizens of Baltimore were excited about. It should continue,” Parthemos said.
[Article by Matt Lennon; image via LAT]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami kicks off 2020 season with victory - 13 September, 2020