Tragic news to report from the Toro Rosso camp, with the team’s physiotherapist Raniero Gianotti suffering a fatal heart attack yesterday. The Italian collapsed while riding his bicycle.
Gianotti had worked in Formula 1 since 1992, beginning his career at Minardi before working for the likes of Stewart, Toyota and Ferrari, later returning to Faenza to work with Toro Rosso.
He worked as a trainer, conditioning and improving the fitness for many drivers, including Rubens Barrichello and Felipe Massa, Sebastian Vettel, Johnny Herbert, Alex Zanardi and last year’s Toro Rosso pairing, Sébastien Buemi and, principally of late, Jaime Alguersuari.
“Today I lost a brother. Raniero, you will remain forever in my heart. I came here because of you, and do not ever forget. I love you, Raniero,” a devastated Alguersuari wrote on his Twitter feed.
Gianotti’s funeral will be held today in his home town of Urbino. He is survived by his wife and his eleven-year-old daughter.
The entire RichardsF1.com team joins in sympathy and offers its condolences to his family and colleagues mourning his passing.
[Image via Jaime Alguersuari Official Website]
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020