Former McLaren team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen have both had new management appointments, with Hamilton’s XIX management team appointing experienced driver manager Didier Coton, while Kovalainen has signed on with the IMG group.
For Hamilton – whose patchy 2011 season was mired by a host of personal problems that many felt his management team did little to support him through – this is excellent news.
Coton is an experienced operator in Formula 1 circles, and today he works in partnership with his former client, two-time World Champion Mika Häkkinen, and Williams F1 shareholder Toto Wolff.
While Coton is well-known for his role in overseeing Häkkinen’s motorsport career, along with guiding the careers of the likes of Olivier Panis, Alexander Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre, James Rossiter, Oliver Turvey and Valtteri Bottas.
For Kovalainen, he has signed a deal with global sports and fashion management group IMG Worldwide, which will now oversee his commercial interests, which includes contractual negotiations, PR and marketing.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020