The AON Ford outfit has continued its pre-season testing activity as it prepares for its maiden season in the World Touring Car Championship, with the Arena Motorsport-run team conducting separate tests at Spain’s Guadix circuit and Portugal’s Estoril Grand Prix track.
Newly-signed WTCC drivers James Nash and Tom Chilton each took turns behind the wheel of the two Ford Focus cars the team brought to testing: one being in British Touring Car Championship specifications, while the other was set up in WTCC-spec form.
“So far everything is going well as we had planned,” AON Team Principal Mike Earle told EuroSport, who claimed that the team – Ford’s first in the WTCC since 2005 – would be championship contenders by 2014.
“I think we have a great potential, especially because we may count on two young and fast drivers like Tom and James. I’m sure they won’t have problems in learning the tracks they don’t know. It will be more difficult for the team because of the lack of data.
“However, we haven’t ruled out the possibility to add a third car during the season,” he added.
Latest posts by Richard Bailey (see all)
- 2020 F1 Season Review (Blu Ray) - 27 February, 2021
- WTCR: Guerrieri outwits Muller at the Nordschleife - 26 September, 2020
- WTCR: Girolami breaks Nordschleife lap record to claim pole - 25 September, 2020
- WTCR: Hyundai withdraws from Germany round - 24 September, 2020
- WTCR: Ehrlacher leads Lynk & Co podium sweep at Zolder - 13 September, 2020